Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pinterest Craft: Jewelry Organizer

So, I have recently become a Pinterest addict. I search for ideas of things that I can do to fill my time, organize my life and make me proud of something I have created. Since I want to show off (because that's how I roll) I have decided to document them as I make them.

This is the first project I found on Pinterest. As soon as I saw the original picture, I recognized the printer's drawer as the display shelves my brothers used for their micro machines when we were growing up. I got excited! So, I dug the shelves out of the back office and brought them home, determined to make the organizer.

And they sat, propped up against my dining room wall, for about two months. :o)

Finally, I got on the ball. Two hours of work were totally worth it. Below is the step-by-step.

The printer drawer was old and in need of a good cleaning. It was brittle and antique-looking. I LOVED IT.


 I gave it a sealing stain (3 coats) and allowed to dry for a couple of days.

These are the tools I used to make the jewelry organizer.  The "U shaped nails" are found in the electrical section of your local hardware store. Most employees do not know what you are looking for. Go to the electrical section and search. They are not with the nails, screws, etc. Just a tip to avoid you having to go back and forth as much as I did.


Okay. Determine which side you will use for the bottom and decide how many hooks you want to have. Keep in mind that the jewelry will get tangled if you put them too close together. I decided to put my hooks one inch apart. I made marks with a pencil to evenly space. I pre-drilled the holes to ease the installation on the hooks.



I hammered in the "U Shaped Nails" into the slots. It goes without saying that the larger nails went into the larger slots. I didn't add nails to every single slot because I know that some earrings will overhang. I took a board or two out here and there to make some of the compartments larger. I also added hooks on the sides. (After this picture was taken, I added more hooks on the sides to hold my rings.)



Viola! My jewelry is easy to find, easy to put away and it just look fabulous! Now it's time for me to get started on the other two for all the other jewelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment